Summer is upon us with its warmer weather and bright sunshine. With the smells of the season we also have to content with the pests of the season – especially mosquitoes! Summer marks the peak of mosquito season. Mosquito bites can range from annoyingly itchy to seriously dangerous. Mosquitoes are known to transmit diseases like West Nile virus and Zika, both of which have increased in recent years. What can you do to prevent mosquitoes this summer?
- Wear long sleeves and long pants if you have to be outdoors.
- Use insect repellent, preferably one that contains DEET.
- Keep your doors and windows closed as much as possible.
- Make sure windows and doors have screens that are in good repair.
- Get rid of any standing water in and around your property including in flower pots, pools, and bird baths.
- Keep gutters clear of debris and consider installing gutter guards.
- Avoid any outdoor activity during peak mosquito hours between dusk and dawn.
- Call a pest control professional if you suspect a problem with mosquitoes.