Your house is immaculate. You clean everyday. But despite your best efforts, you spotted a roach crawling across your kitchen counter! Where do roaches come from? What attracts roaches to your clean house?
Roaches come into your home in search of three things: food, shelter, and water. Odds are they’ve discovered one of these three essentials in the sanctuary of your home.
Roaches are very versatile pests. They can get into the smallest of openings and can be extremely difficult to get rid of once they get in. They are easily transported from one dwelling to another. They can hitch rides on luggage, grocery bags, cardboard boxes, furniture, and appliances. They can also crawl in through pipes, sewers, and drains. There is no season for roaches – they are active year-round.
So what can you do to prevent a roach infestation in your home? Here are some tips to prevent roaches from taking over.
- Clean up spills and crumbs immediately. Wipe down your counters every night.
- Rinse out jugs, cans, and containers before throwing them out.
- Empty your garbage every night.
- Clean under your appliances, behind your fridge, and under your stove.
- Store food and pet food in airtight containers.
- Switch from cardboard to plastic storage containers.
- Don’t bring cardboard boxes used for storage inside.
- Repair any leaks immediately.
- Hang wet towels to dry.
- Keep kitchen sponges dry and don’t store on countertops.
- Caulk or seal any gaps and crevices in and around your home.
- Use weatherstripping on all doors and windows.
- Use stoppers or metal baskets on all drains.
- Don’t store excess firewood indoors.
If you suspect you have a roach problem, contact a professional pest control company who can identify the source of the problem, the type of roaches you have, and set you up with a comprehensive treatment and prevention program.