It’s not uncommon to find a bird nest on or near your home. Most of us think of this as no big deal; but is that bird nest dangerous? Yes! Bird nests can actually be quite dangerous to both our homes and our health. Bird droppings contain acid that can corrode metal and concrete and even damage car paint. Debris from nests and bird feathers can clog drains and gutters leading to moisture issues. When nests are built in dryer, fan, or stove vents, they can cause clogs that restrict air flow, cause lint to buildup, and significantly increase the risk of fire. Nests that are built inside attics can cause damage to insulation.
Birds can also be dangerous to the health of you and your family. Birds carry pathogens that can be dangerous to the health of you and your family. Nests also contain bird droppings which can carry all sorts of bacteria and other pathogens like histoplasmosis. Nests can also contain parasites, ticks, mites, and other pests that can remain long after birds have vacated a nest.
The best way to deal with bird nests is to prevent them from being built in the first place. Here are some tips for bird nest prevention you can use at your home:
- Remove trash and food scraps from around your home.
- Keep trash cans sealed tightly.
- Place bird feeders and baths farther out in your yard away from your home.
- Only put out enough food for a few birds at a time.
- Clean up spilled bird seed regularly.
- Install vent covers on dryer, fan, and stove vents.
- Install chimney caps.
- Seal gaps in siding and shutters.
- Install perch repellents.
- Use predator deterrents in the shape of owls, hawks, coyotes, and snakes, making sure to move them around periodically.
Several species of birds are protected by federal, regional, and local regulations and laws that prohibit moving or destroying their nests. For this reason, if you have a problem with birds or bird nests it is best to contact a professional wildlife removal company who can provide bird nest removal services to safely and legally relocate or remove problematic bird nests.